Coming Soon

New website currently in progress. Check back at the end of March 2017 for the final product!


Pre-Arrival Jitters

If only time went by this fast when I’m actually at school. Ryerson’s semesters are only about 3 months long (not including exams) and their “reading break” already happened, while I still have yet to start my semester. Christmas still feels like it was yesterday but somehow it’s already been over 2 months. Anyway, I’m just reinstating the fact that everyone knows –  time always moves too quickly when we don’t want it to.

That being said, my internship at Pantone was over on Tuesday. It was only a few days each week over the past 6 weeks, but in that short time I gained an invaluable wealth of knowledge that I’m very thankful for. I was able to apply the skills I’ve learned at Ryesrson thus far, as well as use some of the same software and tools are being taught this semester. Since my last post, I continued the measurements for the Digital Drawdown process and compiled a final report of the data I collected, which will hopefully be helpful for the lab to see which direction to move in now.

In my last week, I had the wonderful opportunity to learn more about other departments at Pantone beyond the Advanced Color Technology Lab. I went on a tour with Carmine, the Technical Director of the print department, who showed me the entire printing department, textile department, and ink formulation lab. I’ve been a few tours of printing plants that were all impressive in their own ways, but none of them can say they have a printing press with an ink fountain that holds 28 different inks and 34 different channels. The ink fountain was made specially to print Pantone’s variety of swatch books and formula guides. The ink formulation lab was something I’d never seen anywhere and probably will never see anything like it again. I learned about how companies license their colors with companies, and Pantone makes a specific color for them. Or it could be a person, like Jay-Z, who sent in a piece of his motorcycle for Pantone to match. The motorcycle is blue, so naturally the color was named “Jay-Z Blue.” And Tiffany Blue is not the licensed name for Tiffany blue. It’s actually named 1837 Blue because that’s the year the company was founded. And if sending in a piece of a motorcycle sounded ridiculous, the owner of Maui Gin (who lives in Hawaii), sent in a feather for Pantone to match. But the feather was an ombré of shades of blue, so you could imagine how hard that must have been.


I also met with the Director of Sales for textiles and he gave me another, even more detailed tour of the textile department. It was awesome to learn about all the work that goes into making 1 small cotton swatch card. And last but not least, I also met with the Product Development Manager in the marketing department who told me a bit about how Pantone’s marketing works and the campaigns that we’ll be seeing next month. She said the color of the year has been great exposure for them and this was the first year that all the marketing was digital – no more direct mail or brochures! #RIPprint


I’m happy that I was able to explore New York a bit more than usual in my last few weeks. Luke and I went to a Nets game, the Met, the Cloisters, and the highline. It’s easy to forget about how much there is to do and see in New York when you live there.


And now it looks like I’m above Halifax on my way to Germany!  Everything at JFK was strangely painless, like somehow both of my suitcases were not overweight. When I came home from Toronto at Christmas, one of my suitcases weighed 52lbs and the other weighed 72lbs. The lady checking my bags in actually yelled at me and asked why they were so heavy. That was a $75 fee but that pales in comparison to the $200 fee Air Berlin charged for checking a second bag. ;O That was brutal and when I go home in July I’ll definitely be shipping that suitcase instead. Other than that, security actually went really fast and I didn’t forget to take any liquids out of my carryon, surprisingly. This flight gets into Düsseldorf at 6:50am and then I connect to my final flight to Stuttgart. I don’t really think it’s hit me yet that I’m going to live in another country for 5 months but I’m sure it will tomorrow. The only ways its hit me yet is that most people on this flight are speaking German and I’m like wat ? Duolingo can only do so much. Also no matter how many times I say goodbye it doesn’t make it any easier.

So my pre-arrival feelings right now are a mixture of very excited, kind of nervous, and sad because I love New York and the people there, but I’ll be back. I’m probably most nervous about the language but I guess taking German classes while I’m there should help. But being nervous is too exhausting and inexcusable since I’ve had almost 3 months to be nervous about it. And I’m very thankful to have lived in New York with Luke since mid-December (thanks pup, I miss you) and to have the opportunity to study in Germany until the end of July!  Here goes nothing

Xoxo pce and blessings

No Comments

Post a Comment